CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

mother bear cuffs her young

Today Captain America came home and told me that a kid at school told him he sucks at basketball. I then dropped some knowledge on his bad self:

1. He doesn't actually suck at basketball.
2. Even if he did, that doesn't affect whether or not he's a good person.
3. When someone says something critical to him, he should consider the source and if that person has his best interests at heart.
4. The kid was mean to him because he's insecure and is threatened by Captain America's brains, charm, and good looks.
5. The kid has a dad who acts like a spoiled toddler.
6. The kid is an annoying little snot.
7. The kid is going to grow up to be an idiot loudmouth.
8. So it's best to just ignore him, because what he says doesn't matter.

I know these things because: small community. I've had the pleasure of acquiring this knowledge firsthand. Overwrought screaming by the dad at sporting events and mouthing off to adults by the kids is the norm. They're a real classy bunch.

I am made crazy on a constant basis by my children. But I love them fiercely, and the surest way to earn my ire and undying, pulsating, sentient hatred is to treat one of them unfairly. I don't allow them to wallow in victimhood, and I try to encourage them to use these situations as teaching moments. I'm trying to get to a point where they care as little about their peers' opinion of them as they do John's and mine.

1 comments:

crystalcookie said...

I like how you think layne!