CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 11, 2011

but you are, blanche! you are in that chair!

I'm reading The Glass Castle right now, and it is utterly horrifying. Among other things it is the reason I vacuumed this morning.

I worry sometimes that my kids are going to write a tell-all book about me and how the laundry was never, ever put away, and they had to claw through overflowing baskets to find their clean clothes. Or how I bought all of our furniture secondhand because I didn't want them ruining anything expensive. The scary thing to me is that I have all these high-falutin' ideas about how decent people should behave, but I don't mop my floor, and maybe I'm just like the mother in The Glass Castle. The kids couldn't chew gum because it was a low, disgusting habit, but they ate food from garbage cans because the parents refused to work.

It scares me.

I should have fought them off better, but the kids were insistent that they wanted to buy their valentines. So we bought them, and they put them all together and left them in shopping bags lying around the house, and now Willa has stolen an undetermined number of Jolly Ranchers off of Ike's valentines.

2 comments:

amy greenway said...

Do any of your children have to sleep under a raft so they don't get rained on? Do you hide under your blanket and eat a king sized chocolate bar while all of your children are starving? When your daughter is sexually assaulted do you tell her not to be so judgemental? Well then, you're probably okay.

That book makes me feel so good about myself. It's so horrifying, yet I found myself laughing outloud on several occasions. Have you finished it? If you haven't, just wait! Unbelieveable.

the mom said...

Ugh, what terrible parents. I did feel much better about myself after I was done reading it. Crazytown.