I read an obnoxious comment on a blog the other day, in which someone made a comparison between a Mormon temple and the sorts of earthy temples you find in other countries, in which all are welcome, and snidely commented that the latter were closer to reality, reminding you of the spirit and inspiration to be found in everyday life, not just once a week, not and then said those sorts of temples were "inclusive, not exclusive." I almost had an aneurysm, I was so annoyed. First issue: who ever implied that one can only feel close to God within the walls of a Mormon temple, or that feeling inspiration there precludes feeling inspiration elsewhere? And yes, if there's one complaint I would have about Mormonism, it's that it only affects my life one day a week. Give me a break. Second issue: yes, Mormons are very exclusive. We don't want anybody in our temples. That's why we send our young men and women out in droves to pester the living daylights out of everybody in every country of the world, trying to get them to join our church and get temple recommends. Look, do you want to be in our temple, or do you want us to leave you alone? Do you want us to try to involve you in our lives and culture, or do you want us to ignore you? Because I keep hearing complaints from people who are mad that we try to make friends with them, but then when we stop they rant about how isolationist and priggish we are. Make up your freaking minds already. The Mormons I know, myself included, don't really care if you convert or not. We just like talking to people.
Sorry about that, everyone. My complaints do not represent the official views of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
All the youth of the temple district did a huge cultural celebration on Saturday night. It was cheesy as can be, but so inspiring. The kids worked so hard to get the program ready, and to see their bright, shining faces as they participated in something unlike anything your typical teenager would be doing, to see a complete lack of cynicism as they sang and danced, to see their total unity and dedication to doing their best, was awesome. It was beautiful. I was so proud of them.
We had our temple dedication on Sunday, which was wonderful. If I were being flippant, I would say how nice it is that we no longer have to share our temple with the unwashed heathens who think they are as holy as we are, but I'm not flippant, so I won't say that. I finally found the bumblebees in the peach blossoms on the ceiling of the sealing room. It took me forever. I can't tell you how much it tickles me that there are bumblebees in the sealing room. The dedication was beautiful, and it was a very unique and moving experience to be inside the temple for the occasion. To feel such a sense of camaraderie and again, unity, with the people all around us--it brought tears to my eyes. Mormons can be jerks, just like everybody else, but at our best, we're also people who are struggling to overcome our human failings and become better servants of Christ. It's cool to be with my people in a room that reminds us of our purpose.
June- Home & Yellowstone
11 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment