Our lesson this Sunday is on dating and living a virtuous life, which is fraught with danger, but I feel fairly secure in the hands of my Laurels adviser. She's a smart, good lady who agrees with me in large part about how and what we should teach our girls. I get awfully tired of people thinking that our responsibility to do right by each other means that we are then responsible when people choose to misbehave. I get tired of girls being told not to give in to peer pressure, except when "a worthy young man" tells her how she should act and dress. Why should his opinion matter more than her other friends', or hers, or Heavenly Father's? Answer: it shouldn't. Pfft. I get tired of immodesty being explained as how someone dresses, not how they behave. I get tired of the idea that a young woman should strive to be virtuous for the benefit of young men, not herself. There are some weird folk doctrines that bounce around in our youth curriculum, and I'm going to do my best to replace them with truth. Wish me luck.
We're doling out fines and bonuses for this week's pay period. It may surprise you to learn that all of the children tend to earn more fines than bonuses. Some of this week's fines include being creepy to siblings, licking toys, and lazy dishwashing.
Last night I was ushering at the temple, and I got to be in the Celestial room with my parents for a couple of hours. It was very nice. I've got to say, the Brigham City temple is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. It reminds me in places of the Salt Lake temple. I feel so bad for the Logan temple, because it's so incredible outside, and just awful in places on the inside, with terrible ceiling tiles and bizarre traffic patterns. I've always wanted my kids to be sealed there, because so many generations of our family have, but the Brigham temple would not be a bad substitute.
June- Home & Yellowstone
11 years ago
1 comments:
Preach it Sistah!
Post a Comment