CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I almost got into a fight with a child

I was out at the school this morning helping in Ike's class, and I was playing a spelling game with a little girl who lives up the street from us.  The word was "fawn," and I explained that it meant a baby deer, and a kid sitting at the table next to us horned in and said, "No, a baby deer is called a cow . . . alf."  I said, "A calf?" and he said yes, and I said, "No, that's a baby cow.  A baby deer is called a fawn."  Then he said, "My dad is forty-five, and he says it's called a calf."  And I, because I am twelve, said, "Then he's wrong."  I felt bad about it, because first of all, I'm guessing that his dad does know what a baby deer is called, and second, does it really matter, even if he does call it a calf?  Then I said, "A baby elk is called a calf--maybe that's what you're thinking of," and he said, "No, it's a baby deer.  My family goes hunting all the time.  We go every day and night."  I said "That sounds fun!" and refused to engage any more, which I think shows tremendous maturity, don't you? 

I just hate it when people are wilfully stupid, even children.  Children are sort of unteachable at times.  It's why when we are advised in the scriptures and other church situations to "become as a little child," I wonder what kind of child they're talking about. 

1 comments:

Jill said...

I had to google it, but yes, you are totally right. :-)