Big, big news: Willa can ride a bike now. We borrowed a balance bike from Matthew and Emily and all it took was a couple of days of riding around in the driveway and the church parking lot. Balance bikes are a legitimate process improvement. The person who invented training wheels probably meant well, but he's looking like a pretty big idiot next to the balance bike guy. Boy, do you like how I just assumed that both inventors were men? Gosh, is the Patriarchy ever going to cut us a break? Actually, I wasn't assuming they were both men, I was just using default gendered speech, which is a whole different kind of casual sexism, ha ha! Anyway, Willa is riding up and down and hither and yon, and once we get some new tires on Ike's old bike she is going to tear it up out there.
Ike rode his bike barefoot to a birthday party because that's what we do when we have a bandaged puncture wound we're supposed to keep clean, right?
Emmett exploded the tube inside one of his tires on his brand new bike, which has set his riding back a bit. He says he was just pumping it up to the recommended psi, but I have my doubts. We ordered some of those wonderful tubes with the green slime in them, because puncture weeds are about as thick as grass around here.
The only news on Grant this week is that he says he's almost 5'8", but I think he's fudging.
We went to a family reunion at Grandma Maxine's yesterday. John couldn't come because he is on a business trip in Israel building relationships of trust or something. Too bad for him, because the Wilkers are a highly entertaining group of people, and it's always nice to spend time at the I Lazy H.
Justine had her baby this morning, hooray! No name for the little one yet, so I guess we can just call her Baby. It's got a nice ring to it.
June- Home & Yellowstone
11 years ago
3 comments:
I saw the woman with the US patent for the balance bike trying to get funding on SHARK TANK. I guess they've been in Europe for centuries but we on this side of the pond can't seem to embrace it (as I recall she DIDN'T get funding). My BIL just bought a bike at DI and took off the wheels and chain and lowered the seat and, there you go! Balance bike! We are going to try it for E. It worked wonders for her like-minded (read:overly cautious) cousin. Glad to hear it worked for Willa as well.
Here's an easy, cheaper balance bike....take off the training wheels and the pedals, and voila! It worked like a charm on all three kids. We are going to try it with Kate very soon!
We tried that, but our bikes are so crappy we couldn't even get the pedals off.
Post a Comment