A couple of kids in our ward are in the Mandarin immersion program at a nearby school, and I thought for a while about putting Willa in it, but then I despaired at the thought of having to run her back and forth every day for the next five years. I am a lazy mom. But also one of the moms is a giant drag and I don't want to have the forced intimacy of a carpool schedule with her. Besides, I think that Spanish is as much the Language of the Future as Mandarin, and I can actually converse haltingly in elementary Spanish, so I think I'll just buy some textbooks and teach the kids a Spanish class once a week or something.
Grant got on the basketball team he wanted, he is surviving middle school and getting excellent grades despite some of the teachers doing all they can to squash his love of learning, he is sometimes a jerk to his siblings, he doesn't practice his trumpet, he has been doing slightly better at getting up on time and feeding and watering the goats. So, a mixed bag. We take what we can get.
Emmett loves school and life and is almost always happy except when I am making him eat cream of mushroom soup. He does a slapdash job on his chores and incurs frequent fines for letting the chickens run out of water. But because money actually matters to him, when we showed him the hole the fines had dug into his savings he got very wide-eyed and repentant.
Ike is a child of contrasts. Monday he was a turd and getting him to practice his piano was infuriating. He sulked the entire afternoon. Tuesday he came home and did his chores and practiced his piano right away without any nagging. This morning he took 45 minutes to put on a shirt and barely caught the bus. His two settings are happy and angry. Hey--he must be my son!
Willa is getting her claws out this afternoon. I think we've finally succeeded with her. It took a long time of wearing the mitten at night, but I think she's cured. It helps that she's busy at school all day--it's when she gets bored that things get ugly. I wonder how she'll do on our long drive to Mexico, since the car is like the most boring place you can be, and that's always been her hardest fight.
John interviewed for and was offered a job at a different company but ended up not taking it. It would have been fun, but there really are some very nice work/life balance benefits to working for the church. Plus I like him working downtown--who wants to go out to lunch in West Jordan or whatever? Not me.
I love not being the PTA president. It's nice to have only YW to worry about, because that is plenty of worry by itself. Thankfully my Laurels are bright and inquisitive and happily engage in discussions during the lessons. A couple of them are planning on serving missions, which is an exciting prospect. I'm interested to see how the role of women in the institutional dealings of the church is going to evolve over the next little while. My advisor Wendy and I do our best to disabuse them of incorrect notions regarding doctrine vs. custom, and hopefully it will help them find a space in the church that they can be comfortable and faithful in.
June- Home & Yellowstone
11 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment