Last weekend we went to Lehi to sing at a farewell for one of John's former scouts. Normally that sort of thing--bringing in outside talent, if you will--is frowned upon, but we were going to the farewell anyway, and since our friend Jenny is the ward music chairhuman she thought it would be cool if John and I and she and Richard sang an awesome arrangement of "If You Could Hie to Kolob" that I had shown her when they were up here for Easter. So we took advantage of Sandi and Kerry's hospitality and slept over the night before. It was a great visit, and I think we exhausted everyone. John walked all ten children--everybody but Kate--to church on Sunday, so they all smelled like puppies for church.
I can't speak objectively to the goodness or badness of the musical number, since I was part of it, but it certainly felt good. It's one of those wacky Mormon hymns that would have men of science throwing up their hands and exclaiming in dismay, "Creationists! They're impossible!" But it's a rad song and it was so nice to sing with Richard and Jenny again. Here's a secret, promise not to tell: for fun on Saturday night we were singing through "I See the Light" from Tangled--yes, the Disney cartoon--and I cried just a little bit. You guys, what can I say? I am a mess. I just really like singing with them. It's like we have a mindmeld.
Plus the ward is wonderful, and we have so many happy memories of living there. Such a great little place, Lehi. They have animal rights, and maybe they wouldn't put a factory by my house. I don't know. I'd move there tomorrow if it didn't mean we had to leave our families. But I've grown accustomed to being close to John's parents and my parents and our brothers and sisters, and having my mom be able to do our animal chores when we're out of town. It would be a wrench to leave that all behind.
June- Home & Yellowstone
11 years ago
3 comments:
So glad it went well! I'm sure it sounded absolutely lovely.
Also? That Tangled song kills me. I totally cried when I watched that scene (as well as other scenes...), and even when I think about it, I get all goosebumpy and misty-eyed. Being a musical cry baby is awesome.
It was indeed great to sing with you guys. Like I was describing it to someone else, it just felt like slipping into a nice hot-tub with all four of us. Warm and soothing and just makes you say, "aaaahhh!" We love you guys. (move down here)
It was so fun to have you here! We miss you so much. ... and WE can do your animal chores when you're out of town! See - problem solved!
Post a Comment