Captain America may have set a new personal record--he's gotten two pink slips already this school year, and it's been, what, a month and a half? Maybe?My dad told John a while ago that with their children, they "wouldn't have allowed it." Well, then. That's solved. See, the thing is, my parents were blessed with gifted, intelligent, compliant daughters who want nothing more than to be obedient until the cows come home. Also they are all really really ridiculously good-looking. Well, not really. But my parents are very firm and consistent, and they employed this thing called "teaching by example." What a drag, man! Who has the energy to behave well?
So anyway, the tactics that worked on my sisters and me haven't been as successful, shall we say, with my own aggressive researchers. I can attest vehemently that we've informed Captain America that bad behavior isn't permitted. Probably a mere several hundred thousand times, along with the spankings, revoking of privileges, essay writing, extra chore assignments and so on that we've tried one after the other to no avail.
Because I'm a self-absorbed drama queen and tend to think in superlatives, I feel bitter about this. I feel bitter that we read scriptures and limit TV and assign responsibilities and encourage self-governance, and still I have to deal with a child who gets more pink slips in a month than I got my entire school career. Why is everything the worst ever? What more could I have done for my vineyard?Also The Hulk keeps rubbing his mouth and giving himself a rash, likewise Superman, and Pinga is still rocking the cheek hole she's determined to burrow into her mouth. Ear infections, swine flu and a messy house. WAH!
But now I feel guilty, since these are all first-world concerns and it makes me feel like a hateful entitled American to whine about it. So instead I will remember that I have a lovely family of usually healthy people, a house to live in, and do not have to cook meth to keep food on the table. Which is a real load off, because then I'd also have a bunch of dentist visits to worry about.
June- Home & Yellowstone
11 years ago
3 comments:
Your trip looks awesome. I'm still *shocked* that you now own a pair of skinny jeans - but you look FAB in them, so they were a must.
I'm sorry 'bout all the pink slips, swine flu, and facial holes. We're also enjoying swine flu and disobedient children at our house. No pink slips, yet, but we're getting in good practice.
If it makes you feel better, I have a child that still has accidents (it's NOT Jack), one that is VERY socical..(we'll find out how social at Parent teacher conference tonight) and one who wants to wear the SAME pants to school EVERY SINGLE DAY!...(ironicaly they are skinny jeans) We must carry on and cross our fingers that they will turn out ok. Good luck
I share your "WAH!"s. I seriously can't understand how we try SO dang hard and they are SO very naughty. The depth of their naughtiness never ceases to amaze me.
We are in the same boat sista (I guess that would be Niece, but it doesn't fit) - so I'll follow your example and count my blessings. Love ya. p.s. Thanks for the sweet call the other night.
Post a Comment