CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 3, 2008

hank scorpio would be proud

I did it! My first 5k, and now I have a souvenir t-shirt of legitimate provenance. I've had 2 other 5k shirts that were given to me free, so it's nice to tip the scale a little. We did the Fly with the Flock at the Ogden Nature Center, and it was a perfect day for it. Not too cold, not too hot, an awesome trail with beautiful scenery--I loved it. My whole family was there, except The Dad and the kids, because Captain America and the Hulk had soccer games today. So I got to run with my mom and all my sisters, which was great. I, of course, was hideously slow, and was passed by old dudes, enormous computer programmers, moms with strollers and walking children. But that's aight with me.

Also--our family CLEANED UP at the awards ceremony. Raffle prizes won, medals collected, we were lousy with accolades. And by "we" I mean "they." But if I keep going until I'm my mom's age, then maybe I can win my age group because all the people my age will be in bad shape by then. Then I'll hand them all their rear ends in paper sacks!

They are the winningest winners of all.

Also--check it out! They had all kinds of birds there, I think to provide inspiration and motivation (all the proceeds from the race go to benefit the center), like owls and a peregrine falcon, and there was even a bald eagle, sitting on a guy's hand, like, "What's everybody looking at? I'm just the national bird, a raptor big enough to carry off a lamb, closer than you've ever seen one before. No big."
It's times like this that make me proud to be an American.

Next year I'm bringing the kids, because it's such a fun course to run on. They have a 2.5k for kids, and I think they can probably focus that long. Also they have a pancake breakfast with yummy pancakes and perfectly done bacon, and you can't beat that with a stick.

4 comments:

highdeekay said...

Phil says, Layne has more energy than me!

Heidi says, you keep sayin' "aight" and the next thing you know you'll be calling shopping carts "buggies!" and then you might as well move to 'bama and then you can shop at the Piggly Wiggly!

Matt and Emily said...

Way to go. That's awesome. The people that I hate the most in a race are the people that walk for a while and you pass them and then they start running and pass you and the cycle goes on & on- I hate that.

the mom said...

Ha! There was a little kid who was totally doing that to me. Eventually he wore himself right out because of all the sprinting.

Jenny said...

Way to go! You're awesome. I will never run in a race, I'm sure, but I'm glad there are people like you who do things I can't!